11/11/17 Promoter’s Meeting Minutes

OBRA Promoter’s Meeting
11/11/17

Announcement

  • Code of conduct; working on redline [editing] the text so it’s easy to read.
  • Kenji is retiring 6-9 month from ED position, we will be search for a new ED, system wide search, smooth transition.

Membership report

  • Down a couple of percentage points from 2016 – 3700 members, 8% down.
  • Increase in Cat 5 memberships is the growing, need to retain these people.
  • Jen will be taking on upgrades

Marketing / Junior

  • Focusing on getting people racing – getting the word out and doing more creative MTK campaigns.
  • Opening OBRA to more to the NWCP racers
  • Helping drive the message about WMNs racing, WMN road peloton
  • JR cross clinics were very successful this year; wants to continue the JR drive
  • Suggestion from NWCP – can there be a bridge built between Junior racing to colleges and NWCP racing
  • College license? can there be a connection or how can OBRA membership help connect kids with license
  • Suggestion – push out more information on clinics in emails.

Women’s committee

  • Working on the 2018 prestige series
  • Splitting the series into Road / Criterium
  • Sell passes to their series
  • Need to know the calendar
  • On the search for a title sponsor
  • Event in December; working with the non-cycling groups working together to get women signed up [Sunday parkways, women’s cycling summit]

NWCP

  • Issues with low numbers of WMNS – possibility to open it up to non-NCCA events; build community and cross connect; build a mentorship program
  • Kenji asked if NWCP students will be interested in becoming officials to offset cost and making money. There is interest in doing this. Clint is interest in helping out with this as he works with PSU; would like to bring back dual sanctioning to increase fundraising for college teams.
  • Suggestion from NWCP – can there be a bridge built between Junior racing to colleges and NWCP racing
  • College license

Promoter reports

  • Matt – Monday night PIR; ups and downs; 4/5 and 1-3 women’s field showed up every night. Track category was very successful; once the track peeps figure it out the riders where racing two events. Track riders from PIR moved to racing Alpenrose. Successful for June and July was the dropping of Monday night PIR. Go earlier in April.
  • NWCP – down every category; mainly the WMN. On the national level, WMN have been doing great. Lack in and disconnect from NWCP women and amateur racing. Cost is a barrier to entry for college students.
  • Track – good racing season; two new promoters, Tuesday and Thursday nights. Increased road rider attendance. Senior WMN numbers was down, Friday night numbers of steady with beginner WMN up. Velodrome Challenge; numbers are up from last year, so growing. New track committee; new ideas coming to the table, push on Madison racing.
  • The David’s: Worked hard to save some of the road races; Would like to bring back cherry pie and the Lebanon race. Cross, was solid, but disappointing, decrease in participation about 20%. Saw an increase in beginner fields, decrease in “season racers.” Winter? Was the decrease in attendance due to weather?
  • Barton park road series -SteveStruggle over the WMNs fields. Shaking up the fields a bit. Run a co-ed race together; Grand Fando event? Last event of the day?
  • PDW Omnium – went well this year. 6-day was down with teams; lack of promotion. Suggest that the PVC take over promotion of 6-day.
  • North plain circuit race – cancelled; bummer. Road couldn’t get the closed through center of town.
  • Trophy cup – attendance up by one rider over 2016. Gorge fire delayed it by one week. Need to speak to people you don’t usually talk to, encourage new people to enter cycling. Create a safe space for new riders try something new.
  • Do more clinics, maybe do a clinic the week prior to over actual race courses. Give teams more incentives to bring new WMN on and help them cultivate new WMN riders.
  • WMNS clinics after events?
  • Uphill TT – 11% increase in riders. Involved High school to set up and teardown event; introducing kids to cycling by putting up flyers at schools. High school that set up and teardown events will expose the kids to cycling.
  • Baker city stage race – 30% increase, jump in master participation, biggest Pro men’s 1 & 2 field; two rider short of a close field. WMNs field was down, overlapping with other events. Send postcards to other events for cross promotion, hand out free entries to Baker City Stage race to other events as “primes.”
  • Eco – had to move the date, due to snow – numbers were down, lots of challenges. 2018; rejoin the Oregon Cross Country series; 40% out-of-state. Move the race to March 17th, two weeks later, due to weather. Mt. bike trail being built in Pendleton, Oregon – trail out by airport.
  • Mike Ripley – Mt Bike scene; Work with NWCP to get teams into sport, price shouldn’t be a barrier. JR Mt. bike series went well. Maybe pick up state championship for 2018. Southern, Oregon participation down. Oregon triple crown making it a pass event. Oregon, Grand Fando was down due to weather. Shop teams are down sharply this year, devalued. Trying to make an effort to connect with bike shops. Open age groups for triple crown.

Championship committee – to bring back OBRA championships luster; looking people to join the community. BOD member to sit on this committee??

  • Joel Fletcher
  • David Hart
  • Stephanie Myers ?
  • Catherine Cooper

 

11/11/17 BOD Meeting Minutes

OBRA Board of Directors Meeting
11/11/17

Kenji, Steven, Candi, Jordan, Meg, Michelle and Norrene
November 11, 2017

OBRA BOD meeting

Agenda:

12-12:30 Presentation by Watson Creative
12:30-12:45 Discussion of presentation
12:45-1:00 Financials
1:00-1:15 Marketing Update
1:15-1:30 Membership Update
1:30-1:45 Code of conduct/Safe Sport
1:45-2:00 Thefts
2:00-2:15 Announcement
2:15-2:30 Performance review results
2:30-2:45 Officials report
2:45-3:00 OBRA committees (who’s on which committee)

Presentation by Watson Creative – Watson MOTIV8

  • Software / Chip system – sass; Roadrunner sports / Adventure chips
  • Move forward with OBRA, open to a big give to get OBRA started
  • The Challenge; How do you cultivate low-commitment supports into highly-devoted champions? – what the chip system does
  • Low commitment to high commitment
  • Attract / Engage / Capture / Retain = incentivize + measure; Every brand touch point
  • 8 areas of motivation: Share experiences; incentivized, smart content, profiles intelligence, enhanced events, commerce fundraised, social amplifier, experience rewards
  • Push and pull info; update to electronic membership cards
  • Enhanced events give away for people to engage; help with new members; integrate the cat 4 & 5 riders into the sport of cycling. Enhances the events = Zwift style or messenger race.
  • Watson has its own store, can easily integrate into the OBRA system / Fundraisers; Fundraising events for Juniors??
  • Customize platforms
  • Leaderboard challenges: Team vs Team
  • BOD ask how does this apply to OBRA’s day-to-day activities? How will Waston’s program improve OBRA’s program to stimulate growth for OBRA; BOD would like more info on roadrunner program and Watson adapted their chip technology to running.
  • OBRA’s ROI, Watson will build, but someone has to run the system; set aside 50 hours to get the system running, then hours decrease to 12 hours per week.
  • Additionally would spend 3-4 hours per week
  • 3-5 months for Phase 1
  • Strong give from Watson
  • Need to organize content on our end
  • Not a need to implement the entire thing but maybe a few at a time and then add more as we go
  • How do we incentivize memberships and activate rewards system?
  • First cycling group to take this on…USAC does something kinda the same with being able to rank yourself
  • Reduces workload for Scott Willson
  • Points of talk – who would manage this; Membership / Catherine / Marketing
  • OBRA’s database structure is weird; this system can fix it.
  • Will provide data analysis for Ed, BOD, promoters and more.
  • Michelle questions – red flags; big projects always take longer than projected. Concerned about upfront man power to manage the new web system and then who takes on the responsibility.
  • Steven, do we have the right people in place to manage it? Who would be on point to work with Watson and interact with Watson?
  • Work with Matt to get a timeline of gates and dates if OBRA starts this project in January 2018; When would the interactive system go live?

Financials

  • Membership is in a holding pattern, we should have hit rock bottom of membership decline.
  • We could not get an umbrella policy due to two claims. Kenji to look into the NABRA policy.

Marketing Update

  • Joel sends out weekly emails / newsletter and what’s happening this weekend notes.
  • Discussed updating or refreshing emails with better content. Meg suggest maybe Watson can provide guidance. Discussed need to get more riders engaged in opening emails.
  • Michelle; really streamline communication and have a strong call to action; Need a person to do content; blog, social, creating a voice for OBRA.
  • Michelle to work with marketing to help work on content to streamline emails and newsletters.
  • Telling hero stories to membership.
  • OBRA has a large design community, Kenji suggest leveraging that design community better.

Membership Update

  • Jen is a rockstar – fast turnaround and taking on new responsibilities.
  • Membership is down, but cat 5 membership has increased.
  • Include a free membership card in every 2018 membership packet. Encourage all OBRA members to bring a friend to race.
  • Bring a friend campaign needs to be properly managed to ensure that the new rider has a good experience.

Code of conduct/Safe Sport

  • Board action / very long / can there be an executive summary of the code of conduct?
  • How would we enforce spectator behavior? Issue a letter of conduct to promoters regarding people who break rules?
  • Do we need to train officials and promoters? If so, how?
  • Action points; redline [edit] code of conduct and take out what is not needed to streamline the document.
  • Due date to have all edits back to Kenji is December 1st.
  • Let OBRA membership know we are working on code of conduct. Kenji to reach out.
  • We need to follow up quickly when people reach out to OBRA, we need to let them know we have heard them and that we are working to resolve their issue. People just want to know they have been heard.

Thefts

  • Thefts suck. OBRA members have been donating money. We need to publicly recognize these individuals and the ED and BOD need to write thank you notes.
  • 30 radios, 2 generators have been stolen.
  • Tony also brought back one generator from the dead.
  • $3k of stuff was stolen.
  • Kenji to send out link to officials for radios.

Announcement

  • Kenji announces that he is retiring from OBRA in 6-9 months, possibly sooner.
  • Kenji will help make a successful transition of power / exit interview
  • BOD to conduct the search for a new ED
  • Kenji is currently working on a job description for post
  • Steven asked that Kenji will send out a personal letter to the OBRA community announcing his retirement and remind people of what OBRA is about.

Performance review results

  • First time doing a review, all reviews where positive.

Officials report

  • Highest official turnout to training, but no one showed up to officiate.
  • 4 or 5 new officials have showed up at one event
  • Officials packet – are well put together
  • Need an incentive program, everyone’s time is worth something.
    • Clothing / officials gear?
  • Volunteers abused at Bend, decreasing individual’s participation; long time problem.
  • Flux of new riders coming from other states, changing OBRA’s culture. How do you address, this culture shift? PR campaign was suggested and to keep the campaign light to help get the word out.
  • Spectator culture changing as well, seems to be getting more hostile.
  • Need to reach out to other organizations to get individuals involved.
  • What can OBRA do to show there appreciate of the officials? Hand written note from BOD? From members?
  • Maybe tap into college networks, use membership cards to reach out.
  • Official training – trainers to be paid a wage for both putting together the training and day-of training. Potential training schedule date: February.

 

OBRA committees (who’s on which committee) –

  • What is the BOD’s position on these committee – leadership role, voice of 5-year plan, duration of BOD to serve on committee for min. of 1-year.
    • Women’s committee
      • Michelle
      • Jordan
    • PVC committee
      • Steven
    • ED search committee
      • Norrene
    • Potential Official Committee????

 

Term limits –

  • Jordan suggest limiting BOD members to two consecutive terms in office, then take a minimum of one-year off, before they can be reelected for another term.
  • It will limit the popularity contest and bring new voices to the table.
  • One term isn’t enough time to get things done, need two terms to catch on.
  • Balance new ideas with establish ideas, by balancing term limits.
  • Changing voting structure – Teams vs Membership voting?
  • Term limits can be a BOD votes; maybe take a moment to relook at by-laws in general.
  • Negative effect of limiting term limits: loss of tribal knowledge?
  • Positive: Cultivate new ideas, more BOD participation.
  • Add one more BOD positon to have an odd number. Seventh member could be elected by the BOD to fill in missing expertise of current BOD.
  • Change one thing at a time.
  • This term limit will starts with the 2018 elections if passed.
  • Unanimous vote – Term limit passes, goes in effect for 2018.

*Note for Grant writing proposal Approach for Travel Oregon: Target getting youth involved in the sport of cycling along with keying into the underserved population.

 

 

 

7/29/17 BOD Meeting Minutes

OBRA Board of Directors Meeting
7/29/17
Present: Kenji, Glen, Candi, Steven, John, Meg, Norrene
Speakers: Jen, Joel, Steph[?] -WMNs rep, Mike
July 29, 2017

OBRA BOD meeting

Women’s community –

  • Pick up the duties of let’s race bikes
  • Shown 5-year plan and recruiter for OBRA
  • Focus on how obra engage with female racers and how to do it
    • Website – design a page for WMNs resources; resources just for women coming in the sport
    • Created a card for free one-day membership
    • Cards put in bags for cycle Oregon – joy ride
    • Partner with stayer?
    • Partner with Sunday parkways?
  • Weakness
    • Need to find WMN outside of Portland and outside of Road
  • Solutions
    • Solution – email address, womencycling.org – get people to go one place – Create central paces for WMN to come.
    • Create a min board to pass on info to new members
    • Keeping in line with OBRA board
    • More ideas for outreach – cycle Oregon; bridge pedal???
    • Get someone on JCS planning.
    • Steven from OBRA BOD is now part of the WMN committee.

Joel – Marketing

  • Travel Grant – Joel working on; Mt. bike trend;
  • Increase Mt. Bike participation and partner with WSBA & Gina
  • Biketown, partner better and focus on getting people to convert over to racing.
  • Working with Travel Oregon and convert non-cycles in to racers
  • Junior – Junior cross committee – get it more dialed in and better for the juniors.
    • Cross camp
    • Junior camp
    • NICA? Haven’t heard anything from them.
    • Start a cycling club in
    • Gina, partnering with WSBA and getting state competition and riders going back and forth.
    • Social media content – people are linking it. Opening emails have increased up to 30%. Maybe start updating content opening template for email blast. AV testing to see what gets better testing. Successful as a reminder of what is going on.
    • Short track numbers are up + track is up + Tuesday is up. 6-hours of hood was up.
    • Changing up PIR for 2018 – Road, goes from April to July, then gear up to Cross in Aug.
    • Travel Oregon, stage race on the timber trail.
    • Work with WSBA and JBS, get their cross promotion and get the juniors going back and forth over the state line.
  • Jen – Membership
    • Membership is up, especially in cat 5 men.
  • Candi – Officials
    • Down on the road and cross
    • Stop discount for teams that don’t do anything – requirement?
    • Look outside our community to college kids, other people who want a little extra income. Judges are leaving the quickest. Look in to other sports for where they get officials. Connection into PSU or OSU, can we develop some-kind-of-incentive to bring in kids to come out. College credit for sports?????
    • Create a 5-year goal for bring in officials.
    • Fall official training for cyclocross – Dates of training are as follows:
      • 9/6: Blind date
      • 9/7: Brew Haus Cross
      • 9/9: Het Meer
  • Watson Creative / Anthem
    • Watson Creative is too expensive to activate this year; Kenji to touch base with Colby to keep door open for future opportunity
    • Anthem house needs to be approached by Steven, to see if they can deliver the same content and brand position as Watson for less.
    • Norrene to send out proposal to Steven and BOD.
  • Doping – New testing, we can do it $5,000. Mike is doing more research; how much are we going to spend on it or where are we getting the money to do it. We need to decide what we are going to do. Run it under WSBA? This is not associated with cross, it’s just looking to do it. Tabled for now.
  • Cross license – all money come to OBRA; Get ride of cross license and do a full year membership license. Membership issues with data base brought up by Jen and Candi. It was agreed that for the 2017 season, we can’t activate dropping of cross only license for full OBRA membership license because information has already gone out. Proposed to keep as status quo for this year, then roll-out to full license in 2018 no cross license, give members a heads up at these year’s cross that changes will have in 2018.

Track: Jen

  • Doing well
  • Race number has been good. Wednesday riders have come to Friday.
  • AVC went well, hit marks and made a small profit.
  • Bylaws and board structure. As it stands right now people want to stay under OBRA, committee. Have a committee of people task to do things.
  • Bylaws, presented was sent back to the committee to be work on.
  • Need to write down all the responsibilities of what is to be done at the track.
  • Need one BOD member to sit on the committee for track
  • Track committee need to set a meeting over BOD basecamp on roles and responsibilities so BOD review.

Electronic CHIPs – didn’t work. Current idea and rent a reader for an event; Tabled for now didn’t work.

Safe sport:

  • Look at safe sport and see what rules apply to OBRA and what we can use.
  • Research other org to see what they are doing and how best works for OBRA.
  • Kenji will send out to USAC; NICA
  • John and Kenji are going to look further into this and see what we can adopt and bring it to the BOD so BOD can discuss this.

5 Year Plan – has been moved and adopted.

  • Kenji to make small typo corrections.
  • Hitting most of the goals mapped out for 2017, apart from website redesign, this is a better topic, see above, Watson section.
  • 5-year plan will be released to membership soon.

 

 

Silverton Road Race

‘Silverton Road Race’

Presented by Sellwood Cycle Repair and Zone 5 Promotions

We are happy to announce the rebirth of a historically classic road race back to the OBRA calendar. Get ready for some climbing because ‘Silverton Road Race’ has it!

Make sure to ‘like’ our facebook event page for course photos and race updates.

https://www.facebook.com/events/175544692955415/

DATE – Saturday April 15th, 2017

VENUE LOCATION

Victor Point Elementary School
1175 Victor Point Rd SE
Silverton, OR 97381

DIRECTIONS

From Portland (via I-5): Head south on I-5 to Salem. Take exit 253B OR-22/OR-99E toward Detroit Lake/Bend. Take exit 7 for OR-214 toward Silver Falls/State Park. Continue east on OR-214 N/Silver Falls Hwy SE. Turn left onto Waldo Hills Dr SE and head northeast. Turn left at Cascade Hwy SE and head north. Turn right at Doerfler Rd SE and head east to the school. PLEASE DO NOT PARK AT THE SCHOOL. Park on Doerfler Rd. which is just past the school to the left.

From Salem (via OR-22): Head east on OR-22 toward Detroit Lake/Bend. Take exit 7 for OR-214 toward Silver Falls/State Park. Continue east on OR-214 N/Silver Falls Hwy SE. Turn left onto Waldo Hills Dr SE and head northeast. Turn left at Cascade Hwy SE and head north. Turn right at Doerfler Rd SE and head east to the school. PLEASE DO NOT PARK AT THE SCHOOL. Park on Doerfler Rd. which is just past the school to the left.

COURSE – ‘Silverton Road Race’

The course is a challenging 17.4 mile loop with few flat sections, constant rollers and some extended climbs. Features an uphill finish. The race will be a lap based format with different totals for each group. We will be racing clockwise.

COURSE MAPhttps://ridewithgps.com/routes/18704431

SCHEDULE

Start Time

Category Laps Distance

9:30am

Category 3 Men

3

52

9:35am

Category 4/5 Men

3

52

9:40am

Mast. Men 40-49 (3/4/5)

3

52

9:45am

Women 4/5 & 40+ (3/4/5)*

2

35

1:00pm

P/1/2

4

69

1:10pm

Mast. Men 50+/60+ (3/4/5)

3

52

1:20pm

Women 1/2/3**

3

52

* Masters 40+ women scored separately.

** Cat 3 women scored separately.

REGISTRATION –

ONLINE PRE-REG:  ADULT  $35  /  JUNIOR  $15
ONLINE PRE-REGISTER LINK – http://obra.org/events/25395/register
Registration closes Friday at 5pm.

RACE DAY:  ADULT  $40  /  JUNIOR  $20

Additional Races: $10 per race
Volunteer and race for free!

VOLUNTEERS

Race entry will be waived in lieu of volunteer service provided. We need drivers, course marshals and people to help with set-up and tear-down. Drivers will be given an additional gas allowance. Contact David Hart at dhart@zone5promotions.com for information.

MEMBERSHIP & LICENSES – OBRA membership required for all riders. Single day race memberships are available for $5.00. Season OBRA memberships are available for $30.00 online (www.obra.org/membership/new), mail in, or in person at the race.

RACE NUMBERS – We will be using 2017 OBRA Road numbers. Two Numbers must be used. One pinned to the RIGHT side and one on the BACK in road race configuration.

PRIZES

Prizes will be 3 Deep/Category.

Sponsor gift certificates to top 3 for each category. Provided by Sellwood Cycle Repair.

IMPORTANT NOTES

  • Road race rules in effect. Standard Bicycle racing rules apply. Approved helmets required at all times (including riding to and from registration, during warm-up, cool down, in your jeans, shorts, slippers) while at the venue. Failure to comply could result in disqualification. Course is closed for warm-up until clearance has been given by the chief judge and/or race director.
  • No alcohol allowed at the venue. This is Silver Falls School District property and we do not want to lose this venue.
  • Please do not park in any business parking lots, unless designated so.
  • Please do not park on the course or other traffic right of ways.
  • Please use the provided Port-a-Potties, not the bushes.

Promoters – David Saltzberg and David Hart.

Contact Information

David Saltzberg
(360) 823-9778 mobile
dsaltzberg@zone5promotions.com

OBRA and the organizers of this race do not provide insurance coverage for injuries that occur at the race. The costs related to those injuries are the responsibility of the individual participant. Helmets must be worn at all times while on a bike. Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry for any reason.

 

Jack Frost Time Trial 3/5/17

‘Jack Frost Time Trial’
Presented by Zone 5 Promotions.
WHEN: Sunday March 5th, 2017 (first racer goes off at 9am)
WHERE: Vancouver Lake Park, 6801 NW Lower River Rd, Vancouver, WA 98660
COST: ADULT $20 / JUNIOR $15 (Online only / no “day-of”)
REGISTRATION: OBRA Online Registration Link – http://obra.org/events/25392/register  Registration closes Friday March 3rd at 7pm.
RACE NUMBERS – We will be using 2017 OBRA Road numbers. Bring your OBRA bib numbers and pin on your RIGHT side.
DIRECTIONS
From Portland (via I-5): Head north on I-5. After the bridge take the third off ramp (exit 1D) stay left to 4th Plain. Turn left on 4th Plain and head west. 4th Plain merges into Lower River Rd. Stay on Lower River road for 3 miles. Continue right at NW Erwin O. Reiger Memorial Hwy. The park entrance is ½ mile on the right.
COURSE – ‘Jack Frost Time Trial’
20k (12.42 mile) bicycle time trial race with 84 feet of elevation gain. The race will be an out and back on NW Lower River Rd. The turn around will be at the new gate at the north end. The start house will be north of the park entrance on NW Erwin O. Reiger Memorial Hwy (1.5 miles from the park entrance). Be sure to allow enough time to get up the road. The finish line will be on Lower River Road before the park entrance. This road has low traffic with typical local drivers. Please stay to the right side of the road unless passing.
SCHEDULE –
7:30am – Registration opens for temporary numbers and memberships (no “day-of” registration / Pre-registration only).
9:00am – First rider departs the start house at the north end of NW Erwin O. Reiger Memorial Hwy.
All pre-registered racers will have a start time grouped with their race or age category. Special requests may be accommodated. Gaps in posted start times are for logistical requirements. Start times will be posted Saturday, March 4th at 10am. Pre-registered racers do not need to check in, simply show up for at your starting time.
CATEGORIES – Listed in starting order:
Recumbent, Tandem, Juniors, Women: 60-69, 50-59, 40-49, Cat 4/5, Cat 3, Cat 1/2, Men: 70+, 60-69, 50-59, 40-49, 30-39, Cat 4/5, Cat 3, Cat 1/2, Eddy Women, Eddy Men. Categories may be combined until groups of 5 or more riders can be scored. Juniors start youngest to oldest.
MEMBERSHIP & LICENSES – OBRA membership required for all riders. Single day race memberships are available for $5.00. Season OBRA memberships are available for $30.00 online, mail in, or in person at the race. If racers have current proof of WSBA membership, the one day race membership fee will be waived (one day membership form still needs to be completed).
IMPORTANT NOTES
• Time Trial race rules in effect. Standard bicycle racing rules apply. Approved helmets required at all times (including riding to and from registration, during warm-up, cool down, in your jeans, shorts, slippers) while at the venue. Failure to comply could result in disqualification. Course is closed for warm-up at all times.
• No alcohol allowed at the venue.
• Please do not park in any business parking lots, unless designated so.
• Please do not park on the course or other traffic right of ways.
• Please use the provided Port-a-Potties, not the bushes.
Questions or Comments:
Contact Race Director
David Saltzberg
SAFETY: OBRA and the organizers of this race do not provide insurance coverage for injuries that occur at the race. The costs related to those injuries are the responsibility of the individual participants. Helmets must be worn at all times while on a bike. Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry for any reason.

1/28/17 BOD Meeting Minutes

OBRA Board of Directors Meeting
1/28/17
Board Members Present: Kenji Sugahara, Glen Gann, Michelle Mercer, Steven Beardsley, Meg Mautner
Advisory Board Members Present:  Brad Ross
Absent: John Wilson, Candi Murray, Mike Murray
•        Tentative dates were set for quarterly meetings (4/29, 7/29, 11/25). We are also going to meet in February to design a strategic plan for OBRA (5 year plan).
•        Jen Featheringill presented membership information. She has issued approximately 500 memberships up to this point.
•        Joel Fletcher presented his marketing work for OBRA. Joel’s marketing plan will be updated this weekend.
•        The BOD reviewed the financials from 2016 along with membership numbers. We discussed trends, limiting capital expenses, people having less time to train, safety on the roads, etc.
                  Action item: insurance for the OBRA trucks. What happens in an accident? Whose insurance pays? Kenji will look into this
•        1st aid-Mike Murray has been the person in charge for first aid. We talked about who might be able to carry out this job when Mike no longer wants to.
                  Action item: Steven Beardsley and Brad Ross will talk to Mike and connect Mike with someone who might be interested.
•        A good chunk of the meeting was spent talking about board member roles and responsibilities along with the executive director roles and responsibilities. We need to meet face to face at least 1x per year; other meetings can be held via videoconference. Once we have our strategic plan in place, then we can determine what the roles will be. We also have to have the survey created, given, and results tallied so we have a sense of our direction and mission from the OBRA membership.
                  Action item: survey will be created by Kenji (is that correct?). The board will look over the survey before it gets distributed but we have to do this ASAP.
•        Transparency, open board meetings, accountability
 Lots of discussion and ideas on how to make things more transparent to the membership:
1.    Public board meetings (similar to a school board meeting where there is time for public comment at the end)
2.    Have Town Hall meetings in various parts of the state regularly with board members so we can hear what’s going on with the membership.
3.   Post agendas well ahead of time
4.    Post minutes afterwards
5.    Have a monthly dashboard for the board and OBRA employees
6.   Year end reviews
7.    Up our visibility-introduce ourselves to people at races
•        Discussion whether to have OBRA website to be professionally done –link up the Industry and Try OBRA website.
         Action item: Talk to Scott Willson about the code on the OBRA website. Michelle posted several good idea and Kenji will talk to Scott.
•        Line up admin rules with practice-how do we require teams to send people to officials training? Add requirement of teams to help put on a race. Discussion of what teams “get” by joining OBRA and how they can help contribute to the OBRA community.
         Action item: Change the rules so everything lines up with the expectation that all teams with 5 or more members are required to send someone to officials training with the expectation that they will help officiate. Kenji will make sure the writing is in agreement. Suggestion that there’s a place on the website that points out how people can help.
•        Change of rules to allow all members to vote rather than team rep
         Action item: Bylaws would need to be changed. Kenji will look into this.
•Discussion item: Team dues/membership dues/limiting 1 day licenses/having a year to year membership (ie., if you join in Oct., your membership doesn’t expire until the following October)

 

Dirty Circles and Jack Frost Update

From Zone5 Promotions-

We’ve been in a mad scramble the last six days. Please read our notes on the four events listed in the subject line for recent race calendar updates and changes.

*Dirty Circles (Canceled)*

I have bad news about the venue at Dirty Circles in Woodland. Dike road has been damaged by ongoing heavy truck traffic from a sand and gravel operation that will be going on for the next 18 – 24 months (see attached photos). I was up at the site last week inspecting the road and it is overwhelming how bad it is. With the time of year and expected ongoing traffic, I don’t see the county doing timely repairs within the next 5 weeks to make it safe for racing.

With the damage to the roadway, the venue is not viable for the present and near future. We’ll say goodbye to this venue for good.

For the current registered racers, you will receive a refund shortly.

*Jack Frost TT *

With the loss of the Woodland venue, we’re going do all we can to resurrect this event. I have the venue booked for *Sunday March 5th, 2017* (Sunday Feb 26th is already booked by the rescheduled Vancouver Lake Half Marathon). I’m working on the WDOT and city permits right now. We have designed a new 20k course, but need get through the permitting process to be sure that it’s acceptable.

Date: Sunday March 5th, 2017.

Course length: 20k (12.43 miles)

Elevation gain: 384 ft.

Online registration is currently being set up and we hope to have a flier out to you all soon. Stay tuned.

*Piece of Cake RR *

To fill the void created by the loss of Dirty Circles we have been working hard to find a replacement venue. We’ve settled on a new road race course SE of Aurora, OR. I spoke with the traffic engineer at Clackamas County and had a very positive response to the course design and event. I still need to get a TCP and permit figured out but all lights look green for the new venue/event. This will be a one day event. As for the name, Dirty Circles

OBRA Rules Meeting and Awards Party

0Weeks0Days0Hours0Minutes0Seconds

January 28, 2017

Chris King World Headquarters

Schedule of Events

2 PM – 5 PM Rules Meeting
6-8 PM Awards Party

CK_bearing_onlysierra_nevada

Rules Meeting Agenda:

Introduction and updates
Rule changes
Board member election (2 slots)

Proposed rule changes
Bios of board member candidates

Representatives from teams that paid in 2016-2017 are eligible to vote.

Board Member Candidates

Michelle Mercer (incumbent)

Michelle Mercer is a marketing and P.R. consultant in Bend, Oregon, and the marketing director for Sun Country Tours. She works with small and mid-sized organizations, helping them connect with their clients, community and other businesses. Originally from Indianapolis, Indiana, Michelle graduated from Butler University with a degree in Journalism. She worked in the radio industry for more than 14 years, most notably as the program director of KPWR-FM in Los Angeles. Michelle moved to Bend in 2007, and started the non-profit Bend Velodrome Project in 2010. In addition to serving on the boards of the Bend Velodrome Project and OBRA, Michelle also serves as a board member for Visit Bend. Michelle has enjoyed racing in multiple cycling disciplines including road, mountain, track and cyclocross.

Stephen Bedford

I would like to be considered for an OBRA board position at the upcoming annual meeting. One thing that I feel qualifies me is my extensive racing experience. In the 7 years I have been racing in OBRA I have progressed from a cat 5 to a cat 1. I have logged over 500 races through the years from local crits, Thursday night track omniums, PIR’s, Wednesday night Tabor races, and Stage races across the state. I have been fortunate to have achieved some of my goals along the way, goals like elite OBRA championships in road, criterium, and on the track. I also have experience racing at the national level in events like the Nature Valley Grand Prix, San Dimas Stage Race, Cascade Cycling Classic, and the Boise Twilight Criterium. I have been on 4 podiums in National Championship races including a National Championship Road title. Participating in these events allow me to draw on experiences with various perspectives that I can apply to OBRA at all levels.

I also have professional experience as a corporate accountant using analysis tools to advise on business decisions. My area of focus is statistical analysis using data to identify trends, and build models to forecast future outcomes. As OBRA faces challenges of declining numbers, rising costs, and pressure from USAC to adopt their platform, I can help create effective policies and strategies to give members the best possible experience.

Lastly, OBRA is my community, where I learned to race and developed into an elite racer. I have made many friends along the way, and I want the opportunity to give back. Thank you for your consideration.
Norrene Godfrey

Hello to all OBRA members!

Some of you know me, and some of you may not. My name is Norrene
Godfrey, and I have been a member of OBRA for about 30 years now. It’s
hard to believe that it has been that long; I remember Mike Murray,
shaking his head as I rolled up on my Gitane, toe clips, hairnet, all
American Flyers style. It must have been a sight. I have
evolved since my first race in 1987, but I have not lost that raw
enthusiasm and passion for the sport of cycling and OBRA. I’m
excited about running for a position on the OBRA Board of Directors.

As many of you may know Mike Murray is stepping down from the OBRA
BOD. While I will never be able to fill those big shoes of his, I can
offer up my years of experience and knowledge I have gleaned from the
sport of cycling. A few projects I have been involved in over the
years include:

UCI Team Ownership
•  Land Rover-Orbea LLC-Developed women and U23 athletes
•  Project London-Developed US Olympic Sprint athletes

Business Planning, Brand Building, and Strategic Marketing for:
•  DNA [visit Dallas DNA women’s UCI  team]
•  Pure Black UCI team [NZL]
•  ORBEA USA and ORBEA Spain
•  HIA Bicycles [Handmade in Ameria]
•  AVC [Alpenrose Velodrome Challenge]
•  Nine13 Sports NW
•  LIVESTRONG organization for team[s] involvement

Other Service:
•  Two years as a member of the USAC track committee
•  Worked to reconnect ATRA and USAC
•  Laid the groundwork for reciprocity between Oregon and USAC for cyclocross
•  Behind the scenes work for PVC [Portland Velodrome Committee] in
2017 and beyond

OBRA has always been about having fun and racing your bike. My goals
include: helping move OBRA forward and grow the membership, bring back
road racing and the track, advance new avenues of cycling while
developing youth, women memberships, and keeping strong with OBRA’s
staple of cyclocross.

We are very lucky to have OBRA and live in the Pacific Northwest; not
all states have such a thriving cycling culture as Oregon. We need to
make sure we keep nurturing OBRA to ensure it goes strong for at least
another 30 years. I love OBRA and want to volunteer my time and serve
on the Board of Directors. I’m asking you today for
your support and vote on January 28th.

Jordan Staples
My name is Jordan Staples. I have been involved with OBRA for 14yrs now as an official, promoter and racer. I have decided to throw my name into the ring for a potential board position this year as I feel that I can bring years of officiating experience and knowledge from both OBRA and USAC events. Each person on the board brings something to the table in order to complete the circle that is OBRA and I feel that my experience and knowledge in this particular area will round out the current group of board members. My goal would be to improve upon the training and retention of both current and new officials as we cannot run events without them.

Rule Proposals

Rule proposal – Individual TT, 15.5.5 (proposed by Brian List)

Section 15 Road Racing
Sub-section 15.5 Time Trial
15.5.5 Drafting, passesRemove:
No rider may ride closer than 25 meters behind and 2 meters to
the side of another rider. A rider attempting to pass another rider
must complete the pass within 500 meters, otherwise he must
drop back at least 25 meters behind the other rider.
Add (mostly from USAC rule 3E6 (b) and (c)  with additional language):
No rider shall take pace behind another rider closer than 25 meters (80 feet) ahead or 2 meters (7 feet) to the side.No two riders may ride abreast other than when attempting to pass. Such attempts shall not be maintained beyond a distance of 500 meters. If the pass is not made cleanly within 500 meters then (a) if the passing rider has pulled ahead of the caught rider, the caught rider must drop back to a distance 25 meters behind the passing rider, or (b) if the passing rider has not pulled ahead of the caught rider, the passing rider must drop back to a distance of 25 meters and apologize.Reason for change:
The current rule is ambiguous with regard to the responsibilities of passing and caught riders (who must drop back and when).

 

Track changes proposed by Steven Beardsley

17.3.5 Keirin

A Keirin is a race in which riders sprint after completing a certain

number of laps behind a pacer. The race shall be run over the

integral number of laps nearest to 2000 meters for the particular

To

A Keirin is a race in which riders sprint after completing a certain

number of laps behind a pacer. The race shall be run over the

integral number of laps nearest to 1500 meters for the particular

 

———————–

 

17.3.5 Keirin

 

(a) The starting positions of the riders shall be determined by

drawing lots. The riders shall be placed side by side on the pursuit

line with the sprinters lane being left free. The riders shall be held

by assistants. The start shall be given when the pacer approaches

the pursuit line in the sprinters lane. Unless another rider assumes

the responsibility, the rider who drew #1 may be required to follow

the wheel of the pacer for at least the first lap, failing which the

starter shall stop the race and the rider will be eliminated. The

rider who drew #2 shall lead after the restart.

 

To

 

(a) The starting positions of the riders shall be determined by

drawing lots. The riders shall be placed side by side on the pursuit

line with the sprinters lane being left free. The riders shall be held,

but not pushed by assistants. The start shall be

given when the pacer approaches the pursuit line in the

sprinters lane. At the start, riders shall take their positions

determined by the draw, directly behind the pacer, for at

least the first lap, failing which the starter shall stop the race

and riders that failed to comply shall be disqualified. In the

restart, the remaining riders shall again take their same

relative positions behind the pacer.

 

———————-

 

17.3.5 Keirin

 

(b) The pacer shall ride on the measurement line, starting at 25

kph (13 mph) and shall gradually increase speed to 45 kph (28

mph). He shall leave the track when ordered to do so by the

starter, in principle 600-700 meters before the finish.

 

To

 

(b) The pacer shall ride on the measurement line, starting at 30 km/h

and shall gradually increase speed to 50 km/h. They shall leave the

track when ordered to do so by the starter, in principle 750 meters before

 the finish.

 

———————

 

17.3.5 Keirin

 

(d) If the leading edge of the front wheel of any rider’s bicycle

draws even with the back edge of the pacer’s rear wheel while the

pacer is still on the track, the rider shall be disqualified.

 

To

 

(d) If the leading edge of the front wheel of any rider’s bicycle

draws even with the back edge of the pacer’s rear wheel while the

pacer is still on the track or before the pursuit line while the pacer

is pulling of the track, the rider shall be disqualified.

 

———————–

 

17.3.9 Team sprint

 

Successive pulls-

 

(d) The lead rider must relinquish the lead no more than 15

meters before or after the end of the lap that rider is to lead. (A

rider relinquishes the lead by moving up the track and out of the

way of the next rider by at least 1 meter.)

 

To

 

(d) At the completion of their lap, the leading edge of the

leading rider’s front wheel must cross the pursuit line ahead

of the leading edge of the front wheel of the following rider.

Thereafter, the leading rider must draw aside immediately

and ride above the sprinter’s line within 15 meters after the

pursuit line.

 

———————

 

17.3.10 Points race

 

A points race is a rolling start scratch race in which sprints for

points are held on certain laps as designated by the official. For

standard points races this is usually every five laps, or every 2 km.

For standard Points races in each sprint, the first four riders shall

normally be awarded points in order of finish as follows: 5 points,

3 points, 2 points, 1 point. The number of points may be doubled

on the final sprint or on intermediate sprints as designated by the

official. Any rider who gains a lap on the main field will receive

20 points. Any rider who loses a lap to the main field will lose 20

points. Other variations of arranging sprint laps and awarding

points may be used in other types of points races, such as

Progressive Points, Point-A-Lap, etc. In all cases the highest

points are awarded to the riders finishing ahead, i.e. there may be

no disincentive points. The arrangement and timing of the sprints

will be explained to the riders verbally at the start and/or in writing

prior to the race. The main group is the largest group on the track.

If two or more groups are the same size, the leading group shall

be the main group.

 

To

 

17.3.10 Points race

 

A points race is a rolling start scratch race in which sprints for

points are held on certain laps as designated by the official. For

standard points races this is usually every five laps, or every 2 km.

For standard Points races in each sprint, the first four riders shall

normally be awarded points in order of finish as follows: 5 points,

3 points, 2 points, 1 point. Points awarded in the last sprint after the

full distance will be doubled (10 points, 6 points, 4 points, 2 points).

The number of points may be doubled

on the final sprint or on intermediate sprints as designated by the

official. Any rider who gains a lap on the main field will receive

20 points. Any rider who loses a lap to the main field will lose 20

points. Other variations of arranging sprint laps and awarding

points may be used in other types of points races, such as

Progressive Points, Point-A-Lap, etc. In all cases the highest

points are awarded to the riders finishing ahead, i.e. there may be

no disincentive points. The arrangement and timing of the sprints

will be explained to the riders verbally at the start and/or in writing

prior to the race. The main group is the largest group on the track.

If two or more groups are the same size, the leading group shall

be the main group.

 

————————–

 

17.3.11 Madison

 

A Madison is a points race between teams of two or three riders

who relay each other for a specified distance or time. In no case

may more than two members of a team race at the same time.

Sprints for points shall be held in the same manner as a points

race. Generally sprints will be every 5 minutes or an integral

number of laps nearest to 4 kilometers. Lap cards shall be

displayed counting laps down each lap at least 5 laps preceding

sprints. The number of points normally is doubled on the last

sprint. The arrangement and timing of the sprints will be explained

to the riders verbally at the start and/or in writing prior to the race.

Gaining and losing laps and final placings of teams in a Madison

race are determined in the same way as for riders in a points race.

At the start of the race, one rider from each team will be on the

line and the other rider(s) will be on relief. A rolling start will be

used.

 

To

 

A Madison is a points race between teams of two or three riders

who relay each other for a specified distance or time. In no case

may more than two members of a team race at the same time.

Sprints for points shall be held in the same manner as a points

race. Points awarded in the last sprint after the full distance will

be doubled . In Championship Madisons, sprints will occur every 10 laps.

The arrangement and timing of the sprints will be explained

to the riders verbally at the start and/or in writing prior to the race.

Gaining and losing laps and final placings of teams in a Madison

race are determined in the same way as for riders in a points race.

At the start of the race, one rider from each team will be on the

line and the other rider(s) will be on relief. A rolling start will be

used.

Details:

Dress for attendees is casual.  Awardees should dress business casual.  Awardees will be announced and called up to the stage in groups.  We will provide further details at the event.  There will be an opportunity for photos after each group is on stage.

Awardees:

Junior Cyclocross Series Awards

OBRA TT Cup Awards

Oregon Cup and OWPS

Oregon Cup- top 3 will be called up and presented with checks.
1. Austin Arguello
Grixsen Brewing p/b West End Bikes

2. Jeremy Russell
PDX TI/HUB/RCB

3. Marek Litinsky
Team Oregon presented by Laurelwood Brewing

OWPS
1/2 Series
1. Jennifer Luebke, Portland Bicycle Studio
2. Kristina Hughes
3. Nicole Pressprich, Portland Bicycle Studio
4. Mikayla Maier, Portland Bicycle Studio

Cat 3 Series
1. Holland LaRue, Athletes Lounge
2. Gabrielle Lehnert, Hutch’s Eugene
3. Sara Schmitt,­ Athletes Lounge

Cat 4 Series
1. Elizabeth Gardiner, Athletes Lounge
2. Ryan Levering, Unattached
3. Tracey March, Deschutes Brewery

Overall Receiving Awards

Senior Women
Clara Honsinger
Team S&M

Senior Men
Andrew Coe
PDX TI / HUB / RCB

Masters Women
Masters Women 50-54
Lisa Heathman
Team Oregon presented by Laurelwood Brewing

Masters Men
Masters Men 55-59
John O’Brien
Evolution Racing Team/RCB

Junior Women
Junior Women 15-16
Keeley Brownback
Mountain View Cycles Racing Team

Junior Men
Junior Men 13-14
Jacob Smith
PDX Devo Junior Cycling

Team
Team Oregon presented by Laurelwood Brewing

Category and Age-Graded Receiving Awards

Singlespeed/Fixed Men
Seth Patla
PDX TI / HUB / RCB

Singlespeed/Fixed Women
Mielle Blomberg
Team S&M

Clydesdale
Chris Wierman

Athena
Hannah Hart
Hapi-G0!

Category 3 Women
Deann Garcia
West Coast Women’s Cycling p/b Oakshire Brewing

Category 3 Men
Paul Hynes
Therapeutic Associates of Bend/Pine Mountain Sports

Category 4 Women
Taylor Phillips
Showers Pass Racing Team p/b Sage Cycles

Category 4 Men
Chris Sarrett
Pacific Power Blue Sky

Junior Men 10-12
Zachary Smith
PDX Devo

Junior Men 15-16
Duncan Howell
PDX Devo Junior Cycling

Junior Men 17-18
Peyton Logue
Landshark

Junior Women 13-14
McKenna Mckee
Grixsen Brewing p/b West End Bikes

Junior Women 17-18
Kristina Owen
Capitol Velo

Masters Men 30-34
Chris Waggoner
Monster Media Racing p/b Western Bike Works

Masters Men 35-39
Adrian Bosch
Flywheel Bicycle Solutions

Masters Men 40-44
Benjamin Brainard
Flywheel Bicycle Solutions

Masters Men 45-49
Joseph Holcomb

Masters Men 50-54
Jeff Standish
Therapeutic Associates Racing p/b Vancouver Toyota

Masters Men 60-64
Darrell Provencher
Team Rose City

Masters Men 70+
Einar Traa
Portland Velo Racing Team

Masters Women 35-39
Nitzel Hagan
JLVelo Cycling Team p/b The Freewheel

Masters Women 40-44
Sheri Masessa
Flywheel Bicycle Solutions

Masters Women 45-49
Sarah Tisdale
Highfive Cycling

Masters Women 60+
Melissa Boyd
Pacific Power Blue Sky

Categories and Age-Graded Not Receiving Awards
(Not enough disciplines- winners will receive certificates of recognition)

Junior Women 10-12
Madeline Stover
PDX-Devo

Masters Women 30-34
Jasmine Zamora
BriHOP Racing

Masters Women 55-59
Vikki Bourcier
Grixsen Brewing p/b West End Bikes

Location:

Chris King
2801 NW Nela St.
Portland, OR 97210

Parking:

You may park along the areas marked in red, or if you cannot find parking there, you can park along 29th Ave.  You will be towed if you park by Metro or any of the other businesses.  Entrance along alley on left side.

parking

RSVP:

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Team Name write none if not applicable

Names of Attendees

Annual Officials Training – February 11, 2017

This year’s annual officials training will be on February 11, 2017 from 10:00 AM-3:00 PM at the Mazamas at 527 SE 43rd Ave. in Portland.  The agenda is currently being developed by Terri Camp and Jordan Staples.

The Mazamas
527 SE 43rd Ave.
Portland, OR 97215

There is no cost for the training and we will try to stream out via Google+ for those who can’t make it.  All current officials should at least watch the head injury training.

The address for watching the streaming is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ar1vQXOEGc

If you plan on attending or watching online please fill out the form below.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Team Name write none if not applicable

Names of Attendees

New and Experienced Promoters Meeting

Date:  Saturday, February 6, 2016
Time:  6- 8 PM
Location: Portland Bicycle Studio

Items to be discussed:

– Developing a procedure and/or committee for resolving date conflicts.
– Benefit of having one or two people manage the calendar being first point of contact for race permits and racer questions.
– Best practices for creating a sustainable financial race budget.
– Differences between races and events.
– Elite Junior Field for Cyclocross races.
– Changing the cross categories for women to either the same as the men’s or at minimum changing the 45+  to  50+
-Moving 60+ to another time slot and perhaps dropping unicycles.