Speakers: Jen, Joel, Steph[?] -WMNs rep, Mike
July 29, 2017
OBRA BOD meeting
Women’s community –
- Pick up the duties of let’s race bikes
- Shown 5-year plan and recruiter for OBRA
- Focus on how obra engage with female racers and how to do it
- Website – design a page for WMNs resources; resources just for women coming in the sport
- Created a card for free one-day membership
- Cards put in bags for cycle Oregon – joy ride
- Partner with stayer?
- Partner with Sunday parkways?
- Need to find WMN outside of Portland and outside of Road
- Solution – email address, womencycling.org – get people to go one place – Create central paces for WMN to come.
- Create a min board to pass on info to new members
- Keeping in line with OBRA board
- More ideas for outreach – cycle Oregon; bridge pedal???
- Get someone on JCS planning.
- Steven from OBRA BOD is now part of the WMN committee.
Joel – Marketing
- Travel Grant – Joel working on; Mt. bike trend;
- Increase Mt. Bike participation and partner with WSBA & Gina
- Biketown, partner better and focus on getting people to convert over to racing.
- Working with Travel Oregon and convert non-cycles in to racers
- Junior – Junior cross committee – get it more dialed in and better for the juniors.
- Cross camp
- Junior camp
- NICA? Haven’t heard anything from them.
- Start a cycling club in
- Gina, partnering with WSBA and getting state competition and riders going back and forth.
- Social media content – people are linking it. Opening emails have increased up to 30%. Maybe start updating content opening template for email blast. AV testing to see what gets better testing. Successful as a reminder of what is going on.
- Short track numbers are up + track is up + Tuesday is up. 6-hours of hood was up.
- Changing up PIR for 2018 – Road, goes from April to July, then gear up to Cross in Aug.
- Travel Oregon, stage race on the timber trail.
- Work with WSBA and JBS, get their cross promotion and get the juniors going back and forth over the state line.
- Jen – Membership
- Membership is up, especially in cat 5 men.
- Candi – Officials
- Down on the road and cross
- Stop discount for teams that don’t do anything – requirement?
- Look outside our community to college kids, other people who want a little extra income. Judges are leaving the quickest. Look in to other sports for where they get officials. Connection into PSU or OSU, can we develop some-kind-of-incentive to bring in kids to come out. College credit for sports?????
- Create a 5-year goal for bring in officials.
- Fall official training for cyclocross – Dates of training are as follows:
- 9/6: Blind date
- 9/7: Brew Haus Cross
- 9/9: Het Meer
- Watson Creative / Anthem
- Watson Creative is too expensive to activate this year; Kenji to touch base with Colby to keep door open for future opportunity
- Anthem house needs to be approached by Steven, to see if they can deliver the same content and brand position as Watson for less.
- Norrene to send out proposal to Steven and BOD.
- Doping – New testing, we can do it $5,000. Mike is doing more research; how much are we going to spend on it or where are we getting the money to do it. We need to decide what we are going to do. Run it under WSBA? This is not associated with cross, it’s just looking to do it. Tabled for now.
- Cross license – all money come to OBRA; Get ride of cross license and do a full year membership license. Membership issues with data base brought up by Jen and Candi. It was agreed that for the 2017 season, we can’t activate dropping of cross only license for full OBRA membership license because information has already gone out. Proposed to keep as status quo for this year, then roll-out to full license in 2018 no cross license, give members a heads up at these year’s cross that changes will have in 2018.
- Doing well
- Race number has been good. Wednesday riders have come to Friday.
- AVC went well, hit marks and made a small profit.
- Bylaws and board structure. As it stands right now people want to stay under OBRA, committee. Have a committee of people task to do things.
- Bylaws, presented was sent back to the committee to be work on.
- Need to write down all the responsibilities of what is to be done at the track.
- Need one BOD member to sit on the committee for track
- Track committee need to set a meeting over BOD basecamp on roles and responsibilities so BOD review.
Electronic CHIPs – didn’t work. Current idea and rent a reader for an event; Tabled for now didn’t work.
- Look at safe sport and see what rules apply to OBRA and what we can use.
- Research other org to see what they are doing and how best works for OBRA.
- Kenji will send out to USAC; NICA
- John and Kenji are going to look further into this and see what we can adopt and bring it to the BOD so BOD can discuss this.
5 Year Plan – has been moved and adopted.
- Kenji to make small typo corrections.
- Hitting most of the goals mapped out for 2017, apart from website redesign, this is a better topic, see above, Watson section.
- 5-year plan will be released to membership soon.