7/29/17 BOD Meeting Minutes

OBRA Board of Directors Meeting
7/29/17
Present: Kenji, Glen, Candi, Steven, John, Meg, Norrene
Speakers: Jen, Joel, Steph[?] -WMNs rep, Mike
July 29, 2017

OBRA BOD meeting

Women’s community –

  • Pick up the duties of let’s race bikes
  • Shown 5-year plan and recruiter for OBRA
  • Focus on how obra engage with female racers and how to do it
    • Website – design a page for WMNs resources; resources just for women coming in the sport
    • Created a card for free one-day membership
    • Cards put in bags for cycle Oregon – joy ride
    • Partner with stayer?
    • Partner with Sunday parkways?
  • Weakness
    • Need to find WMN outside of Portland and outside of Road
  • Solutions
    • Solution – email address, womencycling.org – get people to go one place – Create central paces for WMN to come.
    • Create a min board to pass on info to new members
    • Keeping in line with OBRA board
    • More ideas for outreach – cycle Oregon; bridge pedal???
    • Get someone on JCS planning.
    • Steven from OBRA BOD is now part of the WMN committee.

Joel – Marketing

  • Travel Grant – Joel working on; Mt. bike trend;
  • Increase Mt. Bike participation and partner with WSBA & Gina
  • Biketown, partner better and focus on getting people to convert over to racing.
  • Working with Travel Oregon and convert non-cycles in to racers
  • Junior – Junior cross committee – get it more dialed in and better for the juniors.
    • Cross camp
    • Junior camp
    • NICA? Haven’t heard anything from them.
    • Start a cycling club in
    • Gina, partnering with WSBA and getting state competition and riders going back and forth.
    • Social media content – people are linking it. Opening emails have increased up to 30%. Maybe start updating content opening template for email blast. AV testing to see what gets better testing. Successful as a reminder of what is going on.
    • Short track numbers are up + track is up + Tuesday is up. 6-hours of hood was up.
    • Changing up PIR for 2018 – Road, goes from April to July, then gear up to Cross in Aug.
    • Travel Oregon, stage race on the timber trail.
    • Work with WSBA and JBS, get their cross promotion and get the juniors going back and forth over the state line.
  • Jen – Membership
    • Membership is up, especially in cat 5 men.
  • Candi – Officials
    • Down on the road and cross
    • Stop discount for teams that don’t do anything – requirement?
    • Look outside our community to college kids, other people who want a little extra income. Judges are leaving the quickest. Look in to other sports for where they get officials. Connection into PSU or OSU, can we develop some-kind-of-incentive to bring in kids to come out. College credit for sports?????
    • Create a 5-year goal for bring in officials.
    • Fall official training for cyclocross – Dates of training are as follows:
      • 9/6: Blind date
      • 9/7: Brew Haus Cross
      • 9/9: Het Meer
  • Watson Creative / Anthem
    • Watson Creative is too expensive to activate this year; Kenji to touch base with Colby to keep door open for future opportunity
    • Anthem house needs to be approached by Steven, to see if they can deliver the same content and brand position as Watson for less.
    • Norrene to send out proposal to Steven and BOD.
  • Doping – New testing, we can do it $5,000. Mike is doing more research; how much are we going to spend on it or where are we getting the money to do it. We need to decide what we are going to do. Run it under WSBA? This is not associated with cross, it’s just looking to do it. Tabled for now.
  • Cross license – all money come to OBRA; Get ride of cross license and do a full year membership license. Membership issues with data base brought up by Jen and Candi. It was agreed that for the 2017 season, we can’t activate dropping of cross only license for full OBRA membership license because information has already gone out. Proposed to keep as status quo for this year, then roll-out to full license in 2018 no cross license, give members a heads up at these year’s cross that changes will have in 2018.

Track: Jen

  • Doing well
  • Race number has been good. Wednesday riders have come to Friday.
  • AVC went well, hit marks and made a small profit.
  • Bylaws and board structure. As it stands right now people want to stay under OBRA, committee. Have a committee of people task to do things.
  • Bylaws, presented was sent back to the committee to be work on.
  • Need to write down all the responsibilities of what is to be done at the track.
  • Need one BOD member to sit on the committee for track
  • Track committee need to set a meeting over BOD basecamp on roles and responsibilities so BOD review.

Electronic CHIPs – didn’t work. Current idea and rent a reader for an event; Tabled for now didn’t work.

Safe sport:

  • Kenji do not proceed on safe sport; passed
  • Will communicate with person who filed complaint to let them know that OBRA is not pursuing the issue and that this person is cleared via SafeSport
  • How do we proceed from this point?
    • Look at safe sport and see what rules apply to OBRA and what we can use.
    • Research other org to see what they are doing and how best works for OBRA.
    • Kenji will send out to USAC; NICA
    • John and Kenji are going to look further into this and see what we can adopt and bring it to the BOD so BOD can discuss this.

Paid employee –

  • Conflict of interest – potentials
  • Equipment has been getting complaints of not being maintained
  • Might be a personal problem-Tony might take pics before trucks get sent out to make sure they are returned in the same condition. KB has some personality issues.
  • Tents are old and have holes in them. Tony is very frugal and is reluctant to spend money. Some things need to be replaced.
  • Make a list of things to be replaced and KS will purchase
  • Send frame to Southern Oregon
  • Point out to race organizers that this is a co-op. Stress that materials need to be returned in a timely manner and in the same state as when borrowed. Minimal fee assumes equipment is cared for.
  • KB needs to be reminded to be customer service is the goal.
  • Catherine has been more on the ball and the web stuff is going well.
  • End of year review from BOD for Kenji.
  • Kenji will do reviews with all paid employees by end of September.
  • We need a job description for all paid employees so they know what they are being held accountable for.
  • Reach out to other areas outside of Portland to find out the condition of equipment and if they are getting.

5 Year Plan – has been moved and adopted.

  • Kenji to make small typo corrections.
  • Hitting most of the goals mapped out for 2017, apart from website redesign, this is a better topic, see above, Watson section.
  • 5-year plan will be released to membership soon.

Kenji –

  • See more of Kenji at more races.
  • Buy swag for the board of directors.

 

 

 

 

1/28/17 BOD Meeting Minutes

OBRA Board of Directors Meeting
1/28/17
Board Members Present: Kenji Sugahara, Glen Gann, Michelle Mercer, Steven Beardsley, Meg Mautner
Advisory Board Members Present:  Brad Ross
Absent: John Wilson, Candi Murray, Mike Murray
•        Tentative dates were set for quarterly meetings (4/29, 7/29, 11/25). We are also going to meet in February to design a strategic plan for OBRA (5 year plan).
•        Jen Featheringill presented membership information. She has issued approximately 500 memberships up to this point.
•        Joel Fletcher presented his marketing work for OBRA. Joel’s marketing plan will be updated this weekend.
•        The BOD reviewed the financials from 2016 along with membership numbers. We discussed trends, limiting capital expenses, people having less time to train, safety on the roads, etc.
                  Action item: insurance for the OBRA trucks. What happens in an accident? Whose insurance pays? Kenji will look into this
•        1st aid-Mike Murray has been the person in charge for first aid. We talked about who might be able to carry out this job when Mike no longer wants to.
                  Action item: Steven Beardsley and Brad Ross will talk to Mike and connect Mike with someone who might be interested.
•        A good chunk of the meeting was spent talking about board member roles and responsibilities along with the executive director roles and responsibilities. We need to meet face to face at least 1x per year; other meetings can be held via videoconference. Once we have our strategic plan in place, then we can determine what the roles will be. We also have to have the survey created, given, and results tallied so we have a sense of our direction and mission from the OBRA membership.
                  Action item: survey will be created by Kenji (is that correct?). The board will look over the survey before it gets distributed but we have to do this ASAP.
•        Transparency, open board meetings, accountability
 Lots of discussion and ideas on how to make things more transparent to the membership:
1.    Public board meetings (similar to a school board meeting where there is time for public comment at the end)
2.    Have Town Hall meetings in various parts of the state regularly with board members so we can hear what’s going on with the membership.
3.   Post agendas well ahead of time
4.    Post minutes afterwards
5.    Have a monthly dashboard for the board and OBRA employees
6.   Year end reviews
7.    Up our visibility-introduce ourselves to people at races
•        Discussion whether to have OBRA website to be professionally done –link up the Industry and Try OBRA website.
         Action item: Talk to Scott Willson about the code on the OBRA website. Michelle posted several good idea and Kenji will talk to Scott.
•        Line up admin rules with practice-how do we require teams to send people to officials training? Add requirement of teams to help put on a race. Discussion of what teams “get” by joining OBRA and how they can help contribute to the OBRA community.
         Action item: Change the rules so everything lines up with the expectation that all teams with 5 or more members are required to send someone to officials training with the expectation that they will help officiate. Kenji will make sure the writing is in agreement. Suggestion that there’s a place on the website that points out how people can help.
•        Change of rules to allow all members to vote rather than team rep
         Action item: Bylaws would need to be changed. Kenji will look into this.
•Discussion item: Team dues/membership dues/limiting 1 day licenses/having a year to year membership (ie., if you join in Oct., your membership doesn’t expire until the following October)

 

New and Experienced Promoters Meeting

Date:  Saturday, February 6, 2016
Time:  6- 8 PM
Location: Portland Bicycle Studio

Items to be discussed:

– Developing a procedure and/or committee for resolving date conflicts.
– Benefit of having one or two people manage the calendar being first point of contact for race permits and racer questions.
– Best practices for creating a sustainable financial race budget.
– Differences between races and events.
– Elite Junior Field for Cyclocross races.
– Changing the cross categories for women to either the same as the men’s or at minimum changing the 45+  to  50+
-Moving 60+ to another time slot and perhaps dropping unicycles.