11/11/17 BOD Meeting Minutes

OBRA Board of Directors Meeting
11/11/17

Kenji, Steven, Candi, Jordan, Meg, Michelle and Norrene
November 11, 2017

OBRA BOD meeting

Agenda:

12-12:30 Presentation by Watson Creative
12:30-12:45 Discussion of presentation
12:45-1:00 Financials
1:00-1:15 Marketing Update
1:15-1:30 Membership Update
1:30-1:45 Code of conduct/Safe Sport
1:45-2:00 Thefts
2:00-2:15 Announcement
2:15-2:30 Performance review results
2:30-2:45 Officials report
2:45-3:00 OBRA committees (who’s on which committee)

Presentation by Watson Creative – Watson MOTIV8

  • Software / Chip system – sass; Roadrunner sports / Adventure chips
  • Move forward with OBRA, open to a big give to get OBRA started
  • The Challenge; How do you cultivate low-commitment supports into highly-devoted champions? – what the chip system does
  • Low commitment to high commitment
  • Attract / Engage / Capture / Retain = incentivize + measure; Every brand touch point
  • 8 areas of motivation: Share experiences; incentivized, smart content, profiles intelligence, enhanced events, commerce fundraised, social amplifier, experience rewards
  • Push and pull info; update to electronic membership cards
  • Enhanced events give away for people to engage; help with new members; integrate the cat 4 & 5 riders into the sport of cycling. Enhances the events = Zwift style or messenger race.
  • Watson has its own store, can easily integrate into the OBRA system / Fundraisers; Fundraising events for Juniors??
  • Customize platforms
  • Leaderboard challenges: Team vs Team
  • BOD ask how does this apply to OBRA’s day-to-day activities? How will Waston’s program improve OBRA’s program to stimulate growth for OBRA; BOD would like more info on roadrunner program and Watson adapted their chip technology to running.
  • OBRA’s ROI, Watson will build, but someone has to run the system; set aside 50 hours to get the system running, then hours decrease to 12 hours per week.
  • Additionally would spend 3-4 hours per week
  • 3-5 months for Phase 1
  • Strong give from Watson
  • Need to organize content on our end
  • Not a need to implement the entire thing but maybe a few at a time and then add more as we go
  • How do we incentivize memberships and activate rewards system?
  • First cycling group to take this on…USAC does something kinda the same with being able to rank yourself
  • Reduces workload for Scott Willson
  • Points of talk – who would manage this; Membership / Catherine / Marketing
  • OBRA’s database structure is weird; this system can fix it.
  • Will provide data analysis for Ed, BOD, promoters and more.
  • Michelle questions – red flags; big projects always take longer than projected. Concerned about upfront man power to manage the new web system and then who takes on the responsibility.
  • Steven, do we have the right people in place to manage it? Who would be on point to work with Watson and interact with Watson?
  • Work with Matt to get a timeline of gates and dates if OBRA starts this project in January 2018; When would the interactive system go live?

Financials

  • Membership is in a holding pattern, we should have hit rock bottom of membership decline.
  • We could not get an umbrella policy due to two claims. Kenji to look into the NABRA policy.

Marketing Update

  • Joel sends out weekly emails / newsletter and what’s happening this weekend notes.
  • Discussed updating or refreshing emails with better content. Meg suggest maybe Watson can provide guidance. Discussed need to get more riders engaged in opening emails.
  • Michelle; really streamline communication and have a strong call to action; Need a person to do content; blog, social, creating a voice for OBRA.
  • Michelle to work with marketing to help work on content to streamline emails and newsletters.
  • Telling hero stories to membership.
  • OBRA has a large design community, Kenji suggest leveraging that design community better.

Membership Update

  • Jen is a rockstar – fast turnaround and taking on new responsibilities.
  • Membership is down, but cat 5 membership has increased.
  • Include a free membership card in every 2018 membership packet. Encourage all OBRA members to bring a friend to race.
  • Bring a friend campaign needs to be properly managed to ensure that the new rider has a good experience.

Code of conduct/Safe Sport

  • Board action / very long / can there be an executive summary of the code of conduct?
  • How would we enforce spectator behavior? Issue a letter of conduct to promoters regarding people who break rules?
  • Do we need to train officials and promoters? If so, how?
  • Action points; redline [edit] code of conduct and take out what is not needed to streamline the document.
  • Due date to have all edits back to Kenji is December 1st.
  • Let OBRA membership know we are working on code of conduct. Kenji to reach out.
  • We need to follow up quickly when people reach out to OBRA, we need to let them know we have heard them and that we are working to resolve their issue. People just want to know they have been heard.

Thefts

  • Thefts suck. OBRA members have been donating money. We need to publicly recognize these individuals and the ED and BOD need to write thank you notes.
  • 30 radios, 2 generators have been stolen.
  • Tony also brought back one generator from the dead.
  • $3k of stuff was stolen.
  • Kenji to send out link to officials for radios.

Announcement

  • Kenji announces that he is retiring from OBRA in 6-9 months, possibly sooner.
  • Kenji will help make a successful transition of power / exit interview
  • BOD to conduct the search for a new ED
  • Kenji is currently working on a job description for post
  • Steven asked that Kenji will send out a personal letter to the OBRA community announcing his retirement and remind people of what OBRA is about.

Performance review results

  • First time doing a review, all reviews where positive.

Officials report

  • Highest official turnout to training, but no one showed up to officiate.
  • 4 or 5 new officials have showed up at one event
  • Officials packet – are well put together
  • Need an incentive program, everyone’s time is worth something.
    • Clothing / officials gear?
  • Volunteers abused at Bend, decreasing individual’s participation; long time problem.
  • Flux of new riders coming from other states, changing OBRA’s culture. How do you address, this culture shift? PR campaign was suggested and to keep the campaign light to help get the word out.
  • Spectator culture changing as well, seems to be getting more hostile.
  • Need to reach out to other organizations to get individuals involved.
  • What can OBRA do to show there appreciate of the officials? Hand written note from BOD? From members?
  • Maybe tap into college networks, use membership cards to reach out.
  • Official training – trainers to be paid a wage for both putting together the training and day-of training. Potential training schedule date: February.

 

OBRA committees (who’s on which committee) –

  • What is the BOD’s position on these committee – leadership role, voice of 5-year plan, duration of BOD to serve on committee for min. of 1-year.
    • Women’s committee
      • Michelle
      • Jordan
    • PVC committee
      • Steven
    • ED search committee
      • Norrene
    • Potential Official Committee????

 

Term limits –

  • Jordan suggest limiting BOD members to two consecutive terms in office, then take a minimum of one-year off, before they can be reelected for another term.
  • It will limit the popularity contest and bring new voices to the table.
  • One term isn’t enough time to get things done, need two terms to catch on.
  • Balance new ideas with establish ideas, by balancing term limits.
  • Changing voting structure – Teams vs Membership voting?
  • Term limits can be a BOD votes; maybe take a moment to relook at by-laws in general.
  • Negative effect of limiting term limits: loss of tribal knowledge?
  • Positive: Cultivate new ideas, more BOD participation.
  • Add one more BOD positon to have an odd number. Seventh member could be elected by the BOD to fill in missing expertise of current BOD.
  • Change one thing at a time.
  • This term limit will starts with the 2018 elections if passed.
  • Unanimous vote – Term limit passes, goes in effect for 2018.

*Note for Grant writing proposal Approach for Travel Oregon: Target getting youth involved in the sport of cycling along with keying into the underserved population.

 

 

 

November 25, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes

Meeting was brought to order by Kenji Sugahara at 4 PM via teleconference.

Board Members in attendance:
Russell Cree
Meg Mautner
Michelle Mercer
Mike Murray
John Wilson

Absent:
Glen Gann

Also in attendance:
Joel Fletcher
Candi Murray

Joel provided a marketing report including statistics on social media outreach.  He also outlined some of the marketing work that has been done this year. Instagram and Facebook impressions are up with engagement also increasing.  He also mentioned that he will be heading to Cyclocross Nationals to cover OBRA juniors.  Joel highlighted the impact of Kenji’s drone video in helping create buzz around cyclocross with over 5,000 views through Willamette Week and 4,000 views through other channels.

Kenji provided a report on trends in the marketplace and a report on the relationship with Travel Oregon.  Road racing continues to follow national trends with a decline in road racing.  Gran Fondos and gravel grinders continue to gain traction.  Joel said that both the Gorge Roubaix and Ochoco Gravel Roubaix were highly successful. Recommendations included continuing to advise promoters that they should create products that are innovative and match the demand.  One concern was raised about OBRA being a racing organization, but Joel explained that if there is a finish line, then the event by nature is competitive.  The regulatory environment is becoming tougher with permits harder and more expensive to obtain.  However, it was noted that we should continue to support promoters who put on road events and help them overcome these barriers.

Successful promoters in Oregon who have engaged with destination marketing organizations (like Travel Oregon) and local economic development bodies include:  Kenny Graham, Chad Sperry, Brad Ross, Mike Ripley and Nick Gibson.

Mike briefly discussed his conversations with USA Cycling when he was back in Colorado Springs.  Derek B. seems to be more open to talking with OBRA.  Kenji then noted he had sent an e-mail message to Derek suggesting a possible solution to the national call-up issue.

John and Joel then briefed the board on the Junior Series and NICA.  Bill Warburton will be following up with NICA to see the costs involved with becoming part of NICA.  Joel noted it could be very expensive given the discussions on the conference call with the organization. John suggested we keep looking at whether we can leverage the JCS infrastructure on the MTB side.  The JCS is going strong though numbers are a little bit down.  The board then discussed the idea of capturing the “tweeners” (those who are too old for kiddie cross but too young for juniors).

Kenji made a motion to ask John to come up with a proposal for lowering the membership age to 9.  Russell seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously.

Kenji then covered some of the projects that are underway including the annual newsletter, the change of credit card processors, adding the capability to the industry site to allow teams to submit their annual renewal information and pay for it (without having to submit separate paperwork), and creating a process so promoters can submit and pay for their race applications through the industry portal.

The board then engaged in a marketing strategy session.  Michelle provided a great analysis of the importance of social media in engaging with audiences and attracting new members.  Joel highlighted the work of Chad Sperry with the Gorge Roubaix Recon and how the use of social media helped create “buzz” and helped boost attendance.  Michelle also provided great feedback about the newsletter advising Joel to link to articles and to keep the e-newsletter mobile friendly.

The board then discussed the financials.  OBRA’s finances continue to be strong.

Kenji then advised the board of the current status of NABRA.  NABRA is continuing to grow and is healthy.

Michelle gave a brief update on the Bend Velodrome Project.

The board then discussed issues and ideas that were brought up in a letter submitted to the board.  One of the issues that was brought up was with the calendaring- OBRA will continue its policy of non-interference though it will now publicize when

1. promoters are advised of a conflict
2. OBRA did its due diligence in attempting to mediate the conflict; and
3. there was no resolution.

OBRA will also bring back the promoter’s gathering for new and veteran promoters.  Tony Kic will be taking over the equipment program and will be providing suggestions for equipment purchases.

The board then agreed to schedule out meetings one year in advance.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:15 PM.